Thursday, August 25, 2011

Lone Survivor Pt. 2

I have continued reading Lone Survivor and I keep on getting more intrigued with every turn of the page. I read pages 50 through 100 and it is hard for me to put the book down. Marcus writes about what it was like growing up in East Texas, while he still is reminiscing the past. He and his twin brother Morgan grew up on a farm where his mom raised and trained horses. He spent a lot of his time outdoors learning to fish and hunt and swim at a very young age. He was expected to work hard and earn everything he got. Their horse farm was about 1,200 acres, and they had 125 thorough breads quarter horses. This provided all different types of work for Marcus to do. In addition to working hard on the farm,he was expected to work hard at school. Respect for authority was demanded by his parents. I feel like this has been lost in our culture. If people do not want to do something they just simply blow off what they were asked to do. But for me the worst part is the people are never punished for being so disrespectful. I am not saying I have never done this but I do my best to keep a good attitude. I guarantee Marcus was asked to so some things he really didn't want to do but he did them anyway. His dad, had been an outstanding swimmer, and insisted on his sons to become strong swimmers. Marcus was such a good swimmer and scuba driver that he started a business in which he would retrieve keys and valuables people lost in the water. His dad only allowed them to get paid if they found what they were looking for. Occasionally he would have an encounter with and alligator or water moccasin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment