Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tin Can Soldier pt1

I have just begun reading 'The Last Stand of the Tin Can Soldier" by James D. Hornfischer. I read the first 50 pages and I like it alot. A giant stalked through the darkness. In the mood-less calm after midnight, the great fleet seemed not so much to navigate the narrow straight as to fill it with armor and steel. Barely visible even to a night trained eye, the long silhouettes of 23 warships passed in a column ten miles long, guided by the dim glow of the channel lights in the passage threading between the headlands of Luzon and Samar. That such a majestic objects, procession should move without challenge was surprising, unbelievable even, in light of the viscous reception the Americans had already given it on its journey from Borneo to this critical point. Having weathered submarine ambush the night before, and assault by wave after wave of angry blue aircraft the previous afternoon, Vice Admirable. I love this book because it is about war and America. I cannot wait to see how some men sacrificed for this country during this battle. The men that fought and died have helped create America into who we are. It gets to me every time I read a war book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment